Hazardous substance alert
What to do if you come across a potentially hazardous material.
- Do not touch the suspect material.
- Remove everyone from affected area if it is safe to do so.
- Isolate and contain the hazardous material by closing doors, and turn off isolation switches, ventilation and machinery if it is safe to do so .
- DO NOT activate building alarms or other electronic equipment.
- Call Campus Security on 8888 (0800 842 8888) or (04) 463 9999 giving location and substance details if you known them.
- If available, provide Material Safety Data Sheets to emergency services on arrival.
- Do not return to the building until the ‘all clear’ has been given.