Find out what to do if you discover a water outage or gas leak, or there is a power cut.
- Use other sources of water for drinking and hygiene purposes, such as unaffected neighbouring buildings or personal emergency supplies.
- As water pressure may be restored at any time without notice, ensure all taps are turned off to avoid flooding.
- Campus-wide telephone communications will continue to operate during a power outage.
- If evacuation is necessary, battery powered illuminated EXIT signs and emergency lighting will indicate exit paths.
- People stranded in lifts will be able to communicate with Campus Security or the Lift Company directly using the lift emergency button or phone.
- Make sure someone remains with anyone who is disabled and cannot leave the building. Call Campus Security on 8888 (0800 842 8888) for assistance.
- In labs, specific procedures will operate during a power outage. Make sure you are aware of these procedures.
- Keep all refrigerators and freezers closed.
- Building access control systems will continue to operate for a limited time, after which doors will automatically revert to free access. A manual lockdown will then be initiated by Campus Security.
- Always treat all electrical equipment as live, as power may be restored at any time without notice.
Gas failure or leak
- If you discover a gas leak, warn your colleagues.
- DO NOT activate building alarms, use mobile phones, hand held radios or other electronic equipment.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off ventilation and machinery and make sure that naked flames are extinguished.
- Evacuate the building—avoiding the areas of contamination and closing doors behind you.
- After evacuating, notify Campus Security on 8888 (0800 842 8888) from a safe location, and give as much detail as possible.
- Do not return to the building until the ‘all clear’ has been given.