Te Puni Terrace

Te Puni Terrace offers self-catered studio accommodation which may appeal to independent, mature students.

Self-catered hall

Students make their own meals.

Walking time to campuses

Kelburn—2 minutes
Pipitea—25 minutes
Te Aro—15 minutes

Housing style

35 single rooms
15 apartment single rooms

Te Puni Village is located on our Kelburn campus—a handy spot for students studying there, close to your classes and other University services.

About the hall

  • Te Puni Terrace is operated by Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington.
  • May appeal to independent, mature students.
  • Single studio rooms are furnished and heated, each with a private bathroom and basic cooking facilities.
  • Single apartment rooms are furnished and heated, with a shared bathroom and kitchen area.
  • Residents can choose to bring their own linen or purchase a bedding pack. See the list of items provided in the Student Hall Handbook pdf3.8MB
  • There is a common room and study space for the residents in this block.
  • 24/7 camera surveillance and swipe card access is required to enter the building.
  • Wi-Fi is available.
  • A communal laundry is available with washing machines and dryers.
  • Some facilities are suitable for residents with disabilities.


Per academic year (37 weeks) Per week
Single studio $13,912 $376
Apartment single room $13,912 $376

You can purchase a linen pack for $170.00. This includes the follow items:

  • pillow and pillowcase
  • duvet inner with cover
  • set of sheets
  • a fleece blanket
  • bath towel.

Trimester 1 only contracts will incur an additional fee of 10 percent to cover the cost of finding someone to take your room when you leave.

Find out when you need to pay accommodation fees and other charges.


Get involved and meet lots of people at the many independent living inter-hall events.


Starting university and living in a hall is an exciting time but it can also be challenging.

Our dedicated team of hall staff are always there to support you, and contribute to creating a friendly and safe hall whānau culture.

Residential advisers (RAs) are senior students employed and trained by the University to support hall residents. You’ll be assigned to one of them and they are often your first point of contact if you need help. RAs are very approachable and enjoy having a chat anytime. They organise hall events and can arrange study groups.

Student support coordinators are registered health professionals who are assigned to each hall, giving you easy access to counselling support. They also work closely with hall staff to ensure health and wellbeing goals are understood and being met.

Support services

We want you to have a happy and successful time at university and get all the support you may need. Make use of our study skills advice and resources as well as health, counselling, and recreation services. There are mentoring programmes and support networks available within our diverse communities.

Addressing conflict

Living with others can be hard at times. Our halls use a restorative justice process to address conflict and rule breaking. This process requires everyone affected to work together to reach an agreement about what must be done to restore relationships.

The Student Hall Handbook pdf3.8MB outlines our behaviour and conduct rules.

For residents of the hall who are not enrolled as students at the University, read our misconduct process schedule pdf212KB

Visit our halls

Contact the hall directly to make an appointment to visit. If you wish to see more than one hall on the same day, make sure you allow at least 30 to 40 minutes to cover the tour and the time to travel to the next hall.