Full details about the New Zealand–China scholarships offered by the Institute and supported by the China Scholarship Council.
Every year, the China Scholarship Council (CSC) of the Chinese Ministry of Education offers scholarships to study Chinese language and related subjects in China. These scholarships are open to New Zealand citizens and are currently administered by the Auckland Confucius Institute. The Confucius Institute at Victoria University of Wellington offers assistance to interested scholarship candidates.
- Applicants must be currently studying at a New Zealand tertiary institution or have completed a tertiary qualification at a New Zealand tertiary institution.
- Applicants need to demonstrate their academic excellence in their field of studies.
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens.
- The China Scholarship Council does not accept applicants aged over 45.
The scholarships cover the students’ tuition fees, shared accommodation, medical care and a monthly stipend during the agreed period of study. Students will be responsible for their own airfares, insurance to and from China, required pre-departure medical examination, visa fees, and for any other expenses not explicitly covered by the scholarship. Final placement in a Chinese university and the length of study will be the prerogative of the China Scholarship Council.
The Confucius Institute in Auckland will convene a panel to select the candidates and recommend them to CSC. Selection criteria to include:
- Academic excellence.
- Strength of references.
- Evidence of applicant’s commitment to achieving a high level of proficiency in Chinese language and in understanding of Chinese society and culture.
- The applicant’s future work and study plan including the degree of Chinese language skills.
- Evidence of applicant’s ability to be independent and able to adapt to living and studying in another culture.
- Involvement in community and extracurricular activities.
The panel reserves the right to make reasonable enquiries in relation to information contained in the scholarship applications. The selection panel's decision will be final. Successful applicants will be asked to state their preferred university placements. However, the final placements will be made by the China Scholarship Council and may not be challenged.
Conditions of tenure
The successful applicants will be required to:
- sign a contract regarding the scholarship's terms and conditions.
- comply with the rules and regulations of the China Scholarship Council.
- attend an award function, if requested, and cooperate with any promotional publicity related to the scholarship.
- provide the Confucius Institute in Auckland with interim and final reports on their scholarship (guidelines will be provided).
The application for the academic year 2021 is closed. Applications for the following year will start in May annually.
NOTE: Successful China Scholarship candidates are welcome / encouraged to apply for The Prime Minister’s Scholarships for Asia (PMSA). This is a separate application process. Information can be found at https://enz.govt.nz/funding/prime-ministers-scholarship-for-asia/
For more information on NZ–China Scholarships, please contact email@example.com at Confucius Institute in Auckland University.