The Confucius Institute at the University is staffed by both Victoria University of Wellington and Xiamen University.
The Advisory Board of the Confucius Institute at Victoria University of Wellington meet regularly to plan new projects.
Victoria University of Wellington appointed Ms Adele Bryant as Acting Director of the Confucius Institute at the University; Xiamen University appointed Professor Zhao Yezhu as the Deputy Director, while Ms Lu Chunxiao and Mr Zhou Xiaosheng have been seconded by Hanban as Chinese Teachers. In addition to its regular staff the University’s Confucius Institute benefits from the support it receives from its art advisor, Dr Luo Hui, and from a number of people from the Chinese community in Wellington who manage Discover China workshops.
Its Advisory Board, which is chaired by New Zealand’s former Ambassador to China, Tony Browne, has senior staff from both universities, led by Pro Vice-Chancellor, Professor Jennifer Windsor, Blair McRae, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Engagement) and Vice-President of Xiamen University, Professor Yang Bin. The Advisory Board meets at least twice a year to review work-in-progress, plan new projects, and discuss personnel and budgetary issues.
New Zealand Contemporary China Research Centre
Director of Confucius Institute
Wellington University International · Engagement Team
Deputy Director Confucius Institute
Visiting scholar · Senior Chinese Language Teacher
Research Office · Confucius Institute
Hanban Chinese Teacher
Wellington University International
- Mr Tony Browne, Chair
- Professor Yang Bin, Co-Chair, Xiamen University
- Professor Jennifer Windsor, Pro Vice Chancellor, Dean of the Wellington Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mr Blair McRae, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Engagement)
- Mr Mao Tongwen, Director International Co-operation, Xiamen University
- Dr Luo Hui, Senior Lecturer, School of Languages and Cultures
- Mr Dong Zhixue, Education Counsellor, Embassy of the People’s Republic of China
- Mr Sean O’Connor, Director Education, Asia New Zealand Foundation
- Mr Chris Grinter, Principal, Rotorua Boy’s High School