Applying for a hall

How to apply to live in a hall of residence, and the application process for new and returning residents.

New applicants

You don't need to fill in the application form at once—you can save your progress and come back to it.

To give yourself the best chance of getting into one of your preferred halls, read our application advice.

Your application can only be processed if it's complete and we've received all the required documentation.

Find out if you are eligible for a guaranteed offer of a place in one of our halls.


If this will be your first time living in a Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington hall of residence, then you will need to provide a reference that supports your suitability to live in a hall community.

For school leavers, a completed Common Confidential Reference form is recommended.

To get a copy of the Common Confidential Reference form, you can fill out an online request form at the end of our application or ask your school for help.

All other applicants will be able to provide a reference through an online form which is at the end of the application process. The reference should be filled in by someone such as an employer, tutor, community leader, minister, or sports coach.

Returning applicants

If you have lived in a hall during the academic year or applied with us previously, you can resubmit your application—enter your username (email) and password, then apply for the year you want.

If you have forgotten your password, use the Reset Password button.

The form will preload your existing responses, so applying with any updated details should only take 5–10 minutes.

Contact us if you are unsure whether you have applied before, or if you need advice before applying. Do not register more than once as this will cause delays.

Offer process

We generally receive more applications than the number of beds available, so hall places are offered over stages—find out about our offer process.

We do accept late applications, but they won't be considered in our first-round offers.

One trimester stays

Tenancy contracts for halls of residence usually span the academic year, beginning at the start of Trimester 1 (February) and finishing at the end of Trimester 2 (November). You can arrange for a shorter stay in some circumstances.

Trimester 1

If you will finish your studies in Trimester 1 (February to June) you can apply to stay in a hall for a shorter time. Apply between 1 August and 1 October.

You'll be charged an extra 10 percent on top of your accommodation fees to cover the cost of finding someone to take your room when you leave.

Trimester 2

Some halls will have vacancies for Trimester 2 (July to November). Apply before the start of the trimester.

Trimester 3 and summer

Bookings are available for accommodation in Trimester 3.