Wellington Global Exchange entry requirements

Check that you meet the entry requirements for the Wellington Global Exchange programme.

Having met the faculty requirements, you can apply to the Wellington Global Exchange student exchange programme if:

  • You have completed at least 120 points or a full-time year of study before commencing your exchange. Students can apply in their first year, to study on exchange in their second year.
  • You demonstrate qualities that show you will be a good ambassador for Victoria University of Wellington and for New Zealand while abroad.
  • You have a minimum ‘B-’ average (4.0) grade point average (GPA) and maintain this average up until the start of exchange. Your GPA is based on all courses you have been enrolled in for the duration of your university studies. Your academic progress grade (previous 2 trimesters) will not be considered a substitute for your GPA.
  • If an applicant’s grade point average is a C+ (between 3.0 and 3.99), an application can be considered together with a WGE Recommendation Form. The form must come from a Victoria University of Wellington academic (for example, a lecturer or tutor) who has taught the applicant within the last two years. Such applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and do not guarantee acceptance to Wellington Global Exchange.

Please note that some universities will have their own GPA requirements, so if you are accepted with a C+ GPA, your choices may be slightly more limited. For information about any specific partner universities, email us at student-exchange@vuw.ac.nz.

Postgraduate students

If you are completing course-taught postgraduate study, you may be able to complete up to half of your qualification on exchange. Thesis-based postgraduate exchange is not possible. School and Faculty approval for your exchange is essential and it is best to seek this prior to your application for Wellington Global Exchange.

International students

International students can go on exchange if they meet the eligibility requirements.

International students going to some exchange partners may be asked to show proof of English language proficiency in the application to the host university.

If you plan on completing your degree while on exchange, you may not be eligible to apply for the Post Study Work Visa if you wish to stay in New Zealand.

Also check the insurance information for international students going on exchange.

Part-time students

You are eligible to apply as long as you have completed 120 points before you commence your exchange and study a full-time course load while on exchange. You must have been enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington within the 12 months immediately before your exchange.


If you have already graduated, you are not eligible to apply for an exchange unless you are enrolled in another qualification that you are yet to graduate from.