Information for Faculty and Staff

What is a reciprocal exchange?

A reciprocal exchange is where two or more universities have decided to allow students to pay tuition fees to their home university and then study courses at the host university without paying tuition fees to the host. Students may not be attending the partner university at the same time of the same duration, but the goal is to have the same number of EFTS hosted by both partners over the duration of the exchange agreement.

How do staff refer to exchange students?

Students are either:

  • Inbound (being hosted by Victoria University of Wellington) or
  • Outbound (going overseas as part of their degree studies at Victoria University of Wellington).

What is the difference between Study Abroad and Exchange at Victoria University of Wellington?

In the most basic terms, Study Abroad involves international fee-paying students who may be associated with another university or specialised international study provider and Exchange involves only students from universities with an established reciprocal student exchange agreement. Students attending the University via either of these pathways are enrolled in the Certificate of Proficiency (COP) qualification and receive support from Wellington University International as an international student. Exchanges are for a maximum of one year and are always for course work.

What international universities are we exchange partners with?

Victoria University of Wellington is has active exchange agreements with over 135 universities in 34 countries/territories around the world. Please take a look at the full list on our Partner Universities web page.