The scope for careers in mathematics and statistics is constantly expanding as new research and ideas are discovered.
Mathematics is fundamental to the study of virtually all science subjects and a prerequisite for the study of many others. More and more careers need some knowledge of mathematics.
Whether you are interested in becoming a linguist, geographer or psychologist, a share-broker, architect or market researcher, a computer programmer, physicist or biologist - mathematics opens doors.
In addition, the demand for statisticians and for people who have a working knowledge of statistics has burgeoned in recent years.
Careers in Mathematics and Statistics
Mathematicians and mathematical statisticians are employed in a wide variety of organisations, often as part of a multi-disciplinary team in which their particular expertise complements that of others.
Mathematics and statistics are used in various specialist applied areas including:
- Biometrics - statistics for the study of biology
- Computer Science
- Economics and Econometrics - statistics for the study of economics
- Meteorology and Atmospheric Research
- Geophysics - physics of the earth
- Seismology - the study of volcanoes and related phenomena
- Metrology - the science of weights and measures
- Market Research
Mathematicians and Statisticians are employed in the following industries:
- Government departments and State-Owned Enterprises
- Crown Research Institutes, eg: NIWA and GNS Science
- Financial Institutions including banks, insurance companies, businesses and management consulting firms
- Industry and Commerce
- Construction Industry
For more information about careers in Mathematics and Statistics, please visit Vic Careers.