Awards and scholarships
A variety of scholarships and prizes are available to students at the School of Mathematics and Statistics.
Victoria University of Wellington offers a range of scholarships for postgraduate study.
Scholarships of particular interest to students in the School of Mathematics and Statistics are listed below.
Further information on all scholarships can be found on the Scholarships web page.
Victoria PhD Scholarships and Doctoral Assistantships
Application for these scholarships is made as part of the application for admission to the PhD programme.
The same closing dates of 1 March, 1 July and 1 November each year apply.
Victoria Masters Scholarships
These scholarships are for students enrolling in Masters Part 2, by thesis.
Applications close on 1 November.
Value $15,000 per year + domestic fees for 1 year.
Victoria Graduate Scholarships
For students enrolling in Honours, Masters Part 1 or a Postgraduate Diploma.
Applications close on 1 November each year.
Value: domestic fees up to $5,000 per year for 1 year.
A number of prizes are awarded annually to the top performing undergraduate students in the School. There is no applications process for these prizes - the winners are selected by a School committee. We have a list of past prizewinners
- Dr Margaret L Bailey Award: Awarded to a female student who has recently completed a Bachelor of Science majoring in either mathematics or statistics, wishing to pursue postgraduate study (at honours or postgraduate diploma level) within the School of Mathematics and Statistics. Preference will be given to those experiencing financial hardship
- John P. Good Memorial Prize: Best first year student taking at least 45 points of mathematics.
- Rotary Club of Wellington Science Prizes: Best student taking at least 30 points of first year Mathematics.
- Macmorran Prize for Mathematics: Best student completing 45 points of 200 level mathematics.
- Jenny Whitmarsh Award for Mathematics: Best female student completing 45 points of 200 level mathematics, and proceeding to 300 level mathematics.
- David Payne Memorial Prizes: Best student in applied mathematics.
- W.H. (Bill) Vaughan Prize for Mathematics: Best student completing the mathematics major.
- Geoffrey A. Rowan Memorial Bursary: Best student in 300 level mathematics who then enrols for an Honours degree in mathematical sciences.
- Shayle Searle Prize in Statistics: Best student in STAT 193.
- J.T. Campbell Prize for Statistics: Best student in MATH 277.
- Rotary club of Wellington Science prizes: Students with best overall performance in first year Statistics.
- Health and Disability Intelligence Prize in Statistics: Best student in STAT 392.
- David Vere-Jones Prize: Best student in 300 level statistics courses including STAT 331.
The Scholarships database is a complete listing of all scholarships available for Victoria University of Wellington students.