Explore some of our research projects undertaken by staff and students at the Wellington Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
There are many research projects underway in the Faculty, involving a wide variety of organisational participants, either as funders or collaborators.
Marsden Fund projects
The Marsden Fund is a contestable research fund that supports research excellence in the social sciences and humanities, as well as science, engineering, and mathematics.
Administered by the Royal Society of New Zealand, it is the most significant avenue of external funding for researchers in the Wellington Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. There are also Marsden Fund Fast-Start grants that come from a special pool of funds set aside for emerging researchers.
Marsden grants are regarded as the hallmark of excellence for research in New Zealand, and competition for them is intense. Our researchers in WFHSS have been highly successful in recent Marsden rounds.
Recently funded projects
More information on other research happening in the Faculty is available on our research centres and institute sites and each School's research pages:
- School of English, Film, Theatre, Media and Communication, and Art History
- School of History, Philosophy, Political Science and International Relations
- Te Kawa a Māui—School of Māori Studies
- School of Languages and Cultures
- School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
- School of Social and Cultural Studies
- New Zealand School of Music—Te Kōkī