Learn from the best
Take advantage of our top rankings and study under nationally and internationally renowned scholars.
Our Faculty ranks first in New Zealand and 72nd in the world for Arts and Humanities in the latest QS World University Rankings. This annual global rankings publication rates more than 18,000 universities and the subjects they teach.
- Politics and International Studies rank first in New Zealand and in the top 100 in the world.
- Three other subjects from the Faculty are also in the top 100 band: English Language and Literature, Linguistics, and Performing Arts.
- Another four subjects are ranked in the top 1% in the world: History, Modern Languages, Philosophy, and Theology, Divinity and Religious Studies.
5 Stars Plus
The University is one of only 13 universities in the world to receive the maximum 5 Stars Plus in the QS Stars Rating System and five stars in each of the eight indicator categories—arts and culture, discipline ranking and accreditations, employability, facilities, inclusiveness, internationalisation, research, and teaching.
Performance Based Research Fund rankings
The University ranks first in New Zealand for the proportion of academics conducting high-quality research in the latest Performance Based Research Fund (PBRF) round.
Subjects within the humanities and social sciences were pivotal to this top ranking. The University has the highest percentage of A-ranked researchers in New Zealand in:
- English Language and Literature
- History, Art History, Classics, and Curatorial Studies
- Music, Literary Arts, and Other Arts
- Theatre, Dance, Film, Television, and Multimedia
The University has the second-highest percentage in two other subjects:
- Foreign Languages and Linguistics
- Sociology, Social Policy, Social Work, Criminology, and Gender Studies
Also, the University has the highest percentage of A-ranked plus B-ranked researchers (combined) in New Zealand in five humanities and social sciences areas.