WellingtonUniversityGuest wireless network
This network offers access to internet for visitors, non-staff contractors, whitelisted devices, and others. Learn how to connect to the network.
The WellingtonUniversityGuest network offers access to the internet for:
- visitors and guests
- non-staff contractors
- users of devices that must be whitelisted to function (Apple TV, Google Chromecast, game consoles)
- staff and students using devices that are incompatible with the WellingtonUniversity wireless network.
Access to WellingtonUniversityGuest is granted for 14 days, then users must log in again to continue using this network. Devices previously whitelisted will still work on WellingtonUniversityGuest.
Connect to WellingtonUniversityGuest
- Browse to your device’s Wi-Fi connections
- Select WellingtonUniversityGuest wireless network.
- You will be redirected to a web portal. If you are not redirected, open a web browser and attempt to connect to http://wifi.vuw.ac.nz
- If you have been issued guest credentials by email, log in using your supplied username and password. If you are a guest, contractor, or other user without a supplied account, select ‘Don’t have an account?’.
- Follow the instructions to complete the sign in process.
Whitelist a device using the MyDevices portal
If your device does not support connecting to the WellingtonUniversity wireless network, you can connect it to WellingtonUniversityGuest after adding its MAC address to the MyDevices portal. This allows your device to bypass the web redirection portal which normally prevents it from logging in.
TV, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, game consoles, and other smart home devices can be whitelisted.
Do not whitelist smartphones (iPhone, Android), tablets, or other personal devices unless prompted to by Digital Solutions.
Devices will be registered against your username, so ensure only your devices or devices you are directly responsible for are registered. You will be the point of contact for any conduct breaches detected on registered devices.
If your device is having difficulties connecting to WellingtonUniversity network but does not fall into any category above, contact Digital Solutions to troubleshoot your connectivity by emailing email@example.com.
Whitelist a device
Follow these steps to whitelist a device:
- Ensure the device you wish to whitelist is kept off the network until it has been whitelisted.
- Locate your device's Wireless MAC Address.
- While on the University network (wireless, wired, or VPN), open a web browser and navigate to https://mydevices.wgtn.ac.nz
- Log in using your staff, student, or emailed guest credentials.
- Click Add:
- Enter a descriptive name under Device Name.
- Enter the MAC address of your device under MAC Address. It must be in colon separated format, for example: AA:BB:CC:11:22:33
- Optionally add a description to identify this device in our system.
- Click Submit.
- Connect your whitelisted device to WellingtonUniversityGuest.
If you cannot add your device because it already exists in our system, or if you have other issues with this portal, contact Digital Solutions with the MAC address of the device by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remove a device
Follow these steps to remove a previously whitelisted device:
- While on the University network (Wireless, Wired, or VPN), open a web browser and navigate to https://mydevices.wgtn.ac.nz
- Check the box next to the devices you wish to delete.
- Click Delete.