Jeremy Bloomfield Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship will be available to Victoria University of Wellington postgraduate research students, undertaking research in the areas of Education or the Environment. The scholarship will be offered biannually.
Wellington UniVentures is funding a scholarship in memory of Jeremy Bloomfield, who worked for Wellington UniVentures’ School Support Services team (previously Viclink) from 2014 until his passing in August 2019. Amongst Jeremy’s passions were a love for education and the environment. This scholarship has been established to support Wellington UniVentures’ mission, of developing innovations arising from Victoria University of Wellington research activities and translating the innovation out of the University for maximum benefit to the community.
The scholarship is to be directed to developing and translating an innovation derived from research in the Education or Environmental disciplines.The intent is to fund a substantial step towards translating an existing innovation, resulting from University research out to the wider community for practical use and impact. For example, this could include the development of a new product, service or prototype that allows the research innovation to find use in the community. Funding new research activity is not eligible under this scholarship.
Applicants must be enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington in a discipline substantially related to Education or the Environment at postgraduate level.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington, undertaking postgraduate research (PhD or Masters level) in any discipline related to Education or the Environment.
- The scholarship must be used to support a substantial step towards translating an existing research-derived innovation, to the wider community for practical use and impact. Examples of eligible activity include; the development of a product, service or prototype to implement innovative research findings. The scholarship may not be used to fund new research activities.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A breakdown of how the funds will be used
- A personal statement outlining the goals of the project, what constitutes its success and a high-level project management style breakdown of the activities to be undertaken
- A reference attesting to the innovation of the research and its ability to be translated/mobilised for external impact
- A CV
- A copy of the most recent academic transcript
The successful recipient will be selected by a panel consisting of two senior staff from Wellington UniVentures (GM level or higher), a representative from Jeremy’s family, and an academic decision-maker, such as the Vice Provost Research.
- The funds will be dispersed at the scholarship award date and are to be used substantially in the manner described in the application, within 12 months of the scholarship award date.
- Permission for Wellington UniVentures to use the recipient's name, image and the outcomes of the scholarship in our internal and external communications.
- Provision of a copy of all outcomes from the scholarship to Wellington UniVentures in the form of a short 5-6 page report, within 12 months of the scholarship being awarded.
- IP ownership to be governed by the University IP policy. No publications or other releases of information from the scholarship funded activities without Wellington UniVentures’ written permission, not to be unreasonably withheld (purely for the purposes of ensuring appropriate protection of University IP can be undertaken where required).
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.