Wellington Doctoral Hardship Scholarship
To assist doctoral candidates who are experiencing unexpected financial hardship. The budget for this fund is limited and priority will be given to candidates who are nearing completion, who are under examination or who are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a doctoral programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a doctoral programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must have achieved full registration except in cases related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Applicants must not be on suspension.
- Applicants must be living in Wellington except in cases related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Applicants must make an appointment with one of the University Student Finance Advisers.
Bring with you:
- a recent bank statement or internet banking printout - this should show at least two months of transactions and all account balances. Your name and bank account number must also be shown on the statement. Additional financial evidence relevant to your circumstances may be required.
- your latest six-monthly progress report. The committee may ask further information from your supervisor regarding your academic progress.
The Student Finance Adviser will discuss your circumstances and assist you to apply. This includes a budget which shows your current income and essential expenses.
Applicants are considered by the Doctoral Hardship Scholarship Committee and will be notified of the outcome by the Scholarships Office.
Applicants are expected to have used their entitlements under the Student Loan Scheme (if eligible) and have exhausted all other avenues.
Although applicants may apply at any time after they achieved full registration, preference will be given to applicants nearing completion, between submission of the thesis for examination and lodgement of the thesis in the library, or affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The committee will consider any unforeseen circumstances (academic or professional) that have hindered the applicant's study.
Student levies and insurance are not considered to be unforeseen expenses.
Scholarships and PhD Admissions Office
Phone 0800 04 04 04