Provisional Admission for students who don’t get UE

If you have not achieved University Entrance, you may still be able to study at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington.

New Zealand school leavers who have not achieved University Entrance (UE) this year after the disruptions caused by COVID-19 may still be able to study for a Bachelor’s degree at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington thanks to a new admission category.

The University is offering school leavers who missed out on UE the chance to apply for Provisional Admission (PA) starting in Trimester 1 2021, so long as they meet certain criteria.

They will be provided with wraparound support to raise their capability to University standards and help them succeed in their studies.

“Because of COVID-19, 2020 has been a hard year in so many ways, not least for high school students with the disruptions they have endured,” says the University’s Provost, Professor Wendy Larner.

“Mindful of this, and committed as we are to core ethical values such as fairness and empathy, the University has introduced Provisional Admission to ensure this year’s school leavers are not penalised for circumstances beyond their control.

“Nor do we want those without UE to be disadvantaged once they are at the University, which is why we will be providing additional academic and pastoral support, especially in Trimester 1, but also throughout their first year. This includes dedicated advisers. We are committed to putting the students firmly on the path to success at the University.”

School leavers should continue to apply for admission to the University under the UE category. When their results are available at the end of January, if they have not achieved UE but have the criteria for PA, the University will email them with an admission offer.

PA complements other University options for school leavers who do not achieve UE, including Discretionary Entrance and the Tohu Māoritanga (Diploma in Māoritanga) and Diploma in University Studies (Pasifika Pathways) programmes.

Students who already know they are unlikely to get UE and would like to discuss their options in more detail can book an appointment with one of the University’s liaison advisers.