Wellington Doctoral Submission Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to enable doctoral candidates to fully concentrate on completing their thesis. Applicants and their supervisors must carefully consider the amount of time required to completion as the scholarship is only available for the final three months before submission of the thesis for examination. Full-time or half-time candidates may apply, but candidates who are currently registered half-time will be required to change their registration to full-time.
The scholarship will provide a stipend of $2,000 per month for up to three months less any outstanding tuition fees. Stipend payments will only be released to a candidate following a monthly confirmation from the candidate's primary supervisor (or secondary supervisor or Head of School) that the candidate is progressing as per the timeline submitted with the application.
A reimbursement of thesis binding costs of up to $100 will be paid to the candidate on evidence of an original receipt. Those that have received a doctoral scholarship funded by Victoria University of Wellington are only entitled to a single thesis claim.
The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of an assessment of the applicant's ability to complete the thesis within the specified timeframe. Candidates must be resident in New Zealand for the full tenure of this scholarship.
- Applicants must be in their final three months prior to submitting their Doctoral thesis at Victoria University of Wellington
- Applicants must be resident in New Zealand for the full tenure of the scholarship
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A detailed timeline for up to three month scholarship period
- A report of progress to date (approximately one page)
- A copy of the most recent six monthly progress report
- Endorsement from: Primary and Secondary supervisors and Head of School (to be requested via the online application)
Successful recipients will be selected by the Victoria University Submission Scholarship Committee.
This scholarship has a closing date of the 1st day of each month (except January). If successful the scholarship period will commence the month following. For example: applications closing on 1 September are for scholarships commencing from 1 October. There is no closing round in January. Please plan accordingly and apply by 1 December for any January and/or February funding for the following year.
At the discretion of the Victoria University Submission Scholarship Committee, the application of the terms and conditions of this Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any applicant for the scholarship.
Regulations and conditions
- The Wellington Doctoral Submission Scholarship may not be held concurrently with any other scholarship.
- Half-time candidates must change their registration to full-time and commit themselves exclusively to completing their thesis.
- No paid work may be undertaken during the tenure of this scholarship.
- The award of the scholarships will be made by the Victoria University Submission Scholarship Committee.
- The scholarship will not be awarded during periods where the student will be seeking professional proofreading services.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to sign the Postgraduate Research Scholarship Contract. The Head of School (or nominee) and primary supervisor will also sign the contract, indicating that they are aware of the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
- If it is considered that less than three months of support is required, the value of this award may be reduced.
- In cases where the student submits before the final month of the scholarship period, no further scholarship payments will be made (any tuition fees paid for this period will be refunded to the Scholarships Office).
- In cases where a candidate does not submit within their approved scholarship time frame, the University may require the School to refund the scholarship payments.