Deane Music Scholarship
This award was established to support a talented Māori or Pasifika musician during their studies at Victoria University of Wellington, who otherwise may not be able to attend university due to financial disadvantage.
This scholarship is for Maori and Pasifika school leaver students who are enrolling in a undergraduate degree within the New Zealand School of Music at Victoria University of Wellington, who otherwise may not be able to attend university due to financial disadvantage.
Students must maintain a B average GPA in order to retain the scholarship for the full tenure.
- Applicants must be of Māori or Pasifika descent
- Applicants must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Applicants must be intending to enrol in a full time undergraduate course at the New Zealand School of Music in the year following application
- Applicants must be experiencing financial hardship
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement
- Applicants must complete the financial section of the online application
- A reference (to be requested via the online application)
- An endorsement of your whakapapa and/or your Pasifika ethnicity (to be requested via the online application)
The recipient will be selected by a committee of three people comprising of the Head of School of the NZSM, or their nominee, along with two other members of academic staff, in consultation with the donor.
Shortlisted students will be invited to interview. Applicants will be asked to produce some academic writing of theirs at the interview.
Payment of the scholarship will follow a three year plan: $10,000 in the first year ($5,000 toward accommodation and $5,000 stipend); $15,000 in the second and third years ($5,000 toward fees, $5,000 toward accommodation and $5,000 stipend).
Students are asked to write a letter of thanks to the donor, as well as provide a short summary of their progress/achievements at the end of each academic year.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards with the exception of full fee paying scholarships.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for the University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.