Roger Robinson Scholarship for Student Runners
This scholarship is open to all students who are intending to enrol, or are already enrolled, in an undergraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington. This scholarship is to assist competitive runners succeed both academically and in their sport.
This scholarship has been established by Roger Robinson to support student runners studying at Victoria University of Wellington. Roger Robinson combined his academic and athletic interests for 35 years as Professor of English and Assistant Vice-Chancellor at the University, competing as an international runner through most of those years, and also serving as athletics stadium announcer, TV commentator, and writer. His many publications similarly cover Literature and Sport.
Applicants for this scholarship must be enrolled, or are intending to enrol, in an undergraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington and fit the criteria below for a competitive runner. Students can be studying towards any undergraduate degree. Selection will be based on athletic ability and commitment to succeeding both academically and athletically. Preference may be given to students who are experiencing financial hardship.
- Applicant must be a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Applicant must be already enrolled, or intending to enrol, in full-time undergraduate study at Victoria University of Wellington
- In special circumstances, consideration may be given to requests to follow part-time study, but prior application must be made to the Dean of Health
- Applicant must be a competitive runner (for the purposes of this scholarship, “runners” are defined as those running in distances from 800m and longer, provided that it is a branch of running administered by Athletics New Zealand)
- Applicant does not need to be affiliated with any specific Athletics organisation
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement explaining how you meet the criteria for this scholarship, future aspirations and detail of your athletic accomplishments
- A letter of support from your Athletics coach or similarly informed person
- Complete the financial hardship section if appropriate
Selection will be made by the Dean of the Wellington Faculty of Health, or their nominee, in conjunction with representatives from Victoria Recreation.
More than one scholarship will be provided annually if available funds are in excess of the amount required for a single award.
Previous recipients are eligible to apply for up to three years.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.