Nora Bateson Scholarship
History and purpose
The scholarship was established through the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation as a result of a bequest in his will made by Mr Archie Dunningham, former City Librarian at Dunedin Public Library, for a scholarship to be named in honour of Miss Nora Bateson. Nora Bateson was Director of the New Zealand Library School from 1948-1953.
The scholarship is intended to encourage beginning practitioners to include some form of overseas study or experience of professional practice in their programme rather than to support work for a research degree.
Who is eligible?
- This scholarship is offered to students who are currently enrolled in the Master of Information Studies (MIS), Postgraduate Certificate in Information Studies and/ or Postgraduate Diploma in Information Studies at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
- The scholarship shall be awarded for the purpose of permitting an enrolled student in the MIS, PG Cert or PGDip in Information Studies to undertake a term of study, or an internship, in the field of Library and Information Studies at an overseas university/organisation.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in the Master of Information Studies (MIS), Postgraduate Certificate in Information Studies or Postgraduate Diploma in Information Studies at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be intending to undertake a term of study, or an internship, in the field of Library and Information Studies at an overseas university/organisation.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- Personal statement briefly outlining the intended study programme.
- Study plan and budget.
- A reference from an academic or your Supervisor. (to be requested via the online application)
The recipient will selected by a panel composed of the Director of the MIS programme and the Head of the School of Information Management, and a nominee of the New Zealand Library and Information Association New Zealand Aotearoa.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship.
The study programme proposed by the student shall be approved by the selection panel for the Scholarship.
In making the award the selection committee shall take into account the academic excellence of the applicant, their record of achievement in the MIS, PG Cert or Post Dip and their commitment to the profession.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.