NN Danilow Scholarships in Modern European Languages
This scholarship is to encourage students to continue with their studies at Honours or Masters level in French, German, Spanish or Italian.
This scholarship has been established at Victoria University of Wellington through a bequest made by Ariadne Danilow. Mrs Danilow, born in Vienna and wife of the late Professor of Russian, Dr. N.N. Danilow, as a well-known Wellington piano teacher with a lively interest in European languages and literature, particularly Russian and German poetry. She was always keen to attend meetings of the Tolstoy Society, the Goethe Society and the German Literacy Society, organized by the University's Russian and German schools.
The selection will be made on the basis of academic merit and are available to New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents only. Two scholarships will be awarded annually to the top performing 300-level students of French, German, Spanish or Italian who intend to enrol in one of the above at Honours level the following year; or the top performing students of French, German, Spanish or Italian who are in their Honours year and intend to enrol in a Masters programme for one of the above in the following year.
- Applicants must be currently studying 300-level papers or completing their Honours in French, German, Spanish or Italian at Victoria University of Wellington
- Applicants must be intending to enrol in either Honours or Masters programme in a French, German, Spanish or Italian at Victoria University of Wellington in the following year
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A reference from the Programme Director (to be requested via the online application)
Recipients will be selected by the Head of School of Languages and Cultures (or nominee) and other appropriate staff from the school.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship and an end of year progress report.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may not be held in conjunction with other awards unless approved by the Scholarships Office.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for the University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.