Alumni and visitors
University graduates are eligible for alumni membership. Members of the community and visitors from other universities can also apply for library access.
You can become an alumni member if:
- you graduated from Victoria University of Wellington with a degree, diploma, or certificate
- you have been awarded an honorary degree from Victoria University of Wellington.
Benefits of being an alumni member
As an alumni member of the Library, you can:
- use and borrow books and journals from the Library’s print collections
- use our interloan service to get access to material from libraries around the world
- get access to selected online resources—e-books, article databases, and more—from your computer at home.
You can get access to selected online resources and be able to borrow from our print collections for a fee of $100 per annum.
- If you would like to become an alumni member of the Library please fill in this form.
- If you have any questions please email email@example.com or phone 04 463 5246.
Online resource access
A selection of online resources, covering many different subject areas, is available to Alumni. These include Academic OneFile, New Zealand Legislation and ProQuest. For a full set please visit the alumni databases page.
Please be aware that access to online resources is provided for private study and research and not for commercial use.
- Borrow print books and journals, and use audiovisual material at our libraries.
- Have material from other campuses delivered to the library that's most convenient for you with our intersite delivery service. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an intersite request.
- Get access to material from other libraries in New Zealand and around the world through our interloans service. Please email email@example.com to make an Interloan request.
Additional charges of $15 for a standard request and $35 for an urgent request apply for this service.
Use of Library facilities
Access to computers and printers is limited to current students and staff, but you are welcome to use our photocopiers. Ask at the service points at Law, Commerce, Architecture and Design, or Info Ihonui at the Kelburn Library.
Alumni visiting any of our campus libraries in person can search our online collections from any Library Discovery Station (computer terminal). If you have your own device (e.g. laptop or tablet) you can also login to the University’s wireless network, using guest access.
ULANZ reciprocal borrowing
If you're a current student or staff member at most other universities in New Zealand, you can get reciprocal borrowing access through the ULANZ scheme.
The following New Zealand universities are members of ULANZ:
- Auckland University of Technology
- Lincoln University
- Massey University
- University of Canterbury
- University of Otago
- University of Waikato
You can request ULANZ membership at any of our library service points or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll need your valid University ID card.
Visitors and privileged borrowing
If you are not eligible for alumni or ULANZ access, you can make an application for a privileged borrower card ($50 fee applies) which enables you to borrow print books and journals. These applications are considered on a case by case basis.
You are welcome to come in and visit any of our libraries and view items from our open collections. Should you wish to search our online collections, you can do this from any Library Discovery Station (computer terminal). If you have your own device (e.g. laptop or tablet) you can also login to the University’s wireless network, using guest access.
Download the external borrower application form pdf66KB