Selection of publications
- Observations: Studies in New Zealand Documentary (Wellington, Victoria University Press, 2011).
- The Kiwi Bloke: The Representation of Pakeha Masculinity in NZ Cinema. In Ian Conrich and Stuart Murray, eds., Contemporary New Zealand Cinema (Wayne State University Press, 2007).
- Eleven Notes on Pialat. Illusions No. 38 (Winter 2006), pp 27–28.
- Marked Women: Prostitutes and Prostitution in the Cinema. (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2006).
- Sedition: The Suppression of Dissent in World War II New Zealand (documentary feature film, 2005).
- Towards a Digital Aesthetic: Why Can't I Stop This Uncontrollable Dancing and I Think I'm Going. Illusions No. 35 (Winter 2003), pp 21–3.
- Review of Jane Roscoe and Craig Hight, Faking It: Mock-documentary and the Subversion of Factuality. Illusions No. 34 (Winter 2002), pp 44–6.
- Cinema Strikes Back: Radical Filmmaking in the United States, 1930-1942 (Ann Arbor: UMI Research Press, 1982)