School of Government
- MA Cant
- MPubPol ANU
- PhD Massey
- Governance and institutional design;
- Political economy of central banking;
- Comparative public policy (Australia and New Zealand);
- Aspects of social policy;
- Aspects of tertiary education and training policy (including vocational education and training);
- Role and accountability of ministerial advisers.
- Eichbaum, C., and Shaw, R., Public Policy in New Zealand: Institutions, processes and outcomes, 3rd ed. Auckland, Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2011 (1st ed 2005, 2nd ed 2008).
- Eichbaum, C., and Shaw, R. (eds.), Partisan Appointees and Public Servants: An International Analysis of the Role of the Political Adviser, London, Edward Elgar 2010.
- Eichbaum, C., "The Political Economy of Central Banking in Australia and New Zealand" in Dyson, Kenneth and Martin Marcussen (eds.) Central Banks in the Age of the Euro, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Eichbaum, C., "Studying Politics" in Raymond Miller (ed.) New Zealand Government and Politics, 5th ed, Auckland, Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Eichbaum, C. and Boston, J., "Financial management and democratic accountability: Lessons from New Zealand:, in Lapsley, Irvine (ed.) Accounting in Politics: Devolution and Democratic Accountability, Routledge, 2008.
- Boston, J., Eichbaum, C., ‘State sector reform and renewal in New Zealand – Lessons for Governance’ Koz-Gazdasag (Public Economics), 2007.
- Boston, J., Eichbaum, C., ‘State sector reform and renewal in New Zealand – Lessons for Governance’ in Gerald Caiden and Tsai-Tsu Su (eds), The Repositioning of Public Governance: Global Experiences and Challenges, National University of Taiwan Press, Taipei, 2007.
- Eichbaum, C., ‘The Third Way’, in R. Miller (ed), New Zealand Government and Politics, 4th ed, Auckland: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Eichbaum, C., and Shaw, R., "Political Staff in Executive Government: Conceptualising and mapping roles within the Core Executive", Australian Journal of Political Science, forthcoming 2011.
- Eichbaum, C. and Shaw, R., "Revisiting Politicization: Political Advisers and Public Servants in Westminster Systems", Governance, Vol 21 No 3, July 2008.
- Eichbaum, C., and Shaw, R., "Minding the Minister? Ministerial advisers in New Zealand Government", Kotuitui: New Zealand Journal of Social Sciences Online, vol 2, issue 2. Online publication date 12 December 2007.
- Eichbaum, C., Shaw, R., ‘Ministerial advisers, politicization and the retreat from Westminster: The case of New Zealand’, Public Administration, Volume 85, Number 3, 2007.
- Eichbaum, C., Shaw, R.,’Ministerial Advisers and the Politics of Policymaking: bureaucratic permanence and popular control’, Australian Journal of Public Administration, 2007.
- Eichbaum, C., Shaw, R., ‘Enemy or ally? Senior officials perceptions of ministerial advisers before and after MPP’, Political Science, 58, 1, June 2006.
- Eichbaum, C., ‘Demos on ‘re-imagining’ Public Administration in New Zealand: A review and commentary’, Public Sector, 29, 4, 2006.
- Eichbaum, C., ‘ An administrative vocation: John Martin interviewed by Chris Eichbaum’, Public Sector, 29, 2, 2006.
- Eichbaum, C., ‘Tertiary education governance in New Zealand’, International Association of Universities Horizons: World Higher Education News Newsletter, 11.4-12.1, February 2006.
- Eichbaum. C., and Shaw, R., Why we should all be nicer to Ministerial Advisers, Policy Quarterly, 1, 4, 2005, pp.18-25.
Conference and other presentations
- Eichbaum, C., Shaw, R., ‘People who live in the dark? Ministerial Advisers in the NZ Context’, IPANZ Lunchtime Seminar, Wellington, February 21, 2007.
- Eichbaum, C., Shaw, R., ‘If Ministerial Advisors are the answer, then what is the question? Issues of governance and policy capability in the New Zealand Context’, GovNet International Conference, Canberra, November 27-28.
- Eichbaum, C., Shaw, R., ’Barbarians at the gate? Special (Ministerial) Advisers, Politicisation and the threat to the Civil Service’, British Political Studies Association Conference, Reading, UK, March 2006.
- Eichbaum, C., Shaw, R., ‘Labour in government, social democracy and the third way: the New Zealand experience’, British Political Studies Association Conference, Reading, UK, March 2006.
- Boston, J., Eichbaum, C., ‘State sector reform and renewal in New Zealand: lessons for governance’, Repositioning of Public Governance – Global Experiences and Challenges, sponsored by the Department of Political Science, National Taiwan University, the Civil Services Development Institute, and the NSFG Foundation, Taipei, 18-19 November 2005.
- Eichbaum, C., and Shaw, R., ‘Is Westminster Dead in Wellington? Ministerial Advisers in the New Zealand Executive’, Australasian Political Studies Association Conference, University of Otago, Dunedin September 2005.
- Eichbaum, C., ‘Institutions and Economic Development: The Case of Central Banks in New Zealand and Australia’, Symposium on Institutions and Economic Development, University of Otago, Dunedin, March,2005.