Weir House Alumni Scholarship
Weir House Alumni Scholarship is open to first year New Zealand students attending Victoria University of Wellington. This scholarship is to assist their first year of study at the University with their accommodation cost at Weir House, who might otherwise not be able to consider coming to Victoria University of Wellington for financial reasons. One scholarship will be awarded annually to a first year student who has been accepted into Weir House.
This scholarship has been established by a graduate of Victoria University of Wellington who was a former resident of Weir House.
- Applicants must be full time, Year 13 New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, who are eligible for a student allowance.
- Strong preference will be given to applicants who live outside the Wellington region (beyond a line from Otaki to Upper Hutt and south).
- Consideration will be given to academic merit as verified by the applicants school.
- Applicants will pay the Registration and Activities Fee, a Residents Association Fee and a deposit. The deposit is refunded at the end of the year, less any loss or damage for which the resident is responsible and each persons share of any non-attributable loss or damage throughout the year.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
The selection shall consist of the Head of Hall, Weir House, the Manager of the Accommodation Service and a member of the Scholarships Committee.
The successful candidate will be chosen on the basis of their academic transcript and the information supplied on their 'Application Form'. Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application by the end of January.
Accommodation will be in a twin-share room for the year and no upgrade of room is permitted.
Although Scholarship recipients may hold this and other awards simultaneously, the Scholarship may not be held together with any other Accommodation Scholarship.
The Victoria University of Wellington Foundation expects recipients to write a letter of thanks to the donor on receipt of the award and an end of year progress report.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.