W R Lauder Memorial Scholarship in Geology
This scholarship is to support postgraduate students undertaking research in Geology at Victoria University of Wellington, with a focus on igneous and metamorphic petrology. The funds are to be used to support research-related expenses or fees.
This scholarship was established in 2013, via the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation, through a bequest from Bruce Lauder of Timaru, in memory of his brother, W R (Ross) Lauder, who was a Geology lecturer at Victoria University of Wellington.
One scholarship will be offered biennially (in odd numbered years). Applications will be considered from full-time students in the School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences who are undertaking postgraduate research in any aspect of igneous or metamorphic petrology at either Master's or PhD levels. The selection will be made on academic merit and financial need. Some preference may be given to applicants of Maori or Polynesian descent.
- Applicants must be full-time students in the School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be doing research in any aspect of igneous or metamorphic petrology at either Master's or PhD levels.
- Preference may be given to applicants of Maori or Polynesian descent.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A CV
- A reference (to be requested via the online application)
- A statement of proposed research
The successful recipient will be selected by the School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences Research Committee.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.