Victoria University of Wellington Study Abroad Scholarship
The scholarship is open to international students who plan to experience New Zealand culture through the Study Abroad programme at Victoria University of Wellington. Successful applicants must be willing to participate in marketing activities to promote Study Abroad opportunities to students at Victoria University of Wellington. Consideration is given to experiences, attributes, backgrounds and academic achievements.
Here is the link to the Study Abroad programme.
Any international student who intends to enrol in the Study Abroad programme at Victoria University of Wellington for a minimum of one trimester.
- Applicants must have applied to study abroad at Victoria University of Wellington as an international student and hold an Offer to study by the application deadline.
- Applicants must hold a minimum GPA of 2.7 (out of 4).
- Applicants must commence study in the trimester and year indicated in their Offer of Place letter.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A motivational statement in written form or video (see requirements below) about how you think a Study Abroad experience in New Zealand will benefit you (personally, academically, and professionally) and what you are excited about experiencing in Wellington.
To encourage diversity within our Study Abroad cohort, the University encourages students from the following and other under-represented groups to identify themselves within their motivational statement:
- students of indigenous and minority backgrounds
- low-income and first-generation tertiary students
- mature students
- LGBTQIA students
- students with disabilities
The motivational statement can be either written or in the form of a video—it must meet these requirements:
- Written statements should be submitted as a PDF or Word Document with your application and be no longer than 300 words.
- Video statements should be uploaded onto YouTube and the link submitted in your online application, and be no longer than 2 minutes.
Successful applicants will be selected by the Assistant Vice-Chancellor International; Associate Director, International Business Development and Recruitment; and the International Regional Manager for North America (or nominees).
The value of the scholarship is up to NZ$1,000 to each successful applicant. It is paid as a one-off payment into the student’s account once they enrol at Victoria University of Wellington.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- This Scholarship is available to students enrolling at Victoria University of Wellington as a Study Abroad student for one or two trimesters. Domestic students and non-Study Abroad international students are not eligible to apply for this Scholarship.
- Recipients must gain international admission to their programme of study and fully enrol as international students.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon a recipient being fully enrolled as a Study Abroad student in Trimester 1 of the following year for December applicants and Trimester 2 of the same year for May applicants. Scholarship will be made until this condition has been met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later trimester.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon a recipient holding a valid and current passport and valid New Zealand international student visa for study at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Students agree to take part in marketing activities to promote Study Abroad opportunities at Victoria University of Wellington.
- As brand ambassadors, students agree to represent Victoria University of Wellington positively.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
- Students who withdraw from their studies at Victoria University of Wellington before the end of their planned Study Abroad period may be required to reimburse the Scholarship funds. Recipients who withdraw during their Study Abroad are required to notify the Scholarships Office of their withdrawal.
- Recipients must comply with University regulations and may have their scholarship withdrawn if they fail to maintain satisfactory progress and good standing as stipulated by the University or if they are suspended from the University.
- Recipients may have their scholarship withdrawn if they fail to comply with the conditions of acceptance of the Scholarship. The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards. It is the recipient’s responsibility to ensure they are able to hold the Scholarship in conjunction with any additional awards/scholarships according to the terms and conditions of those.
Wellington University International Study Abroad programme