Victoria University of Wellington and OBURFC Rugby Scholarships
This scholarship is to support students of any gender, ethnicity or descent, who have both academic and rugby ability, to study at Victoria University of Wellington and play for its affiliated rugby club, Old Boys' University Rugby Football Club (OBURFC). OBURFC is an amalgamation of Wellington College Old Boys RFC and Victoria University of Wellington RFC and is referred to as OBU or Old Boys' University.
Scholarships will be awarded based on both above average rugby ability and academic performance. Consideration may be given to the financial circumstances of applicants at the sole discretion of the decision-making panel.
- Applicants must have an above average rugby ability with the potential to play representative rugby at a senior level.
- Applicants must have at least a Merit endorsement in NCEA Level 2 (or equivalent in another qualification) or a B+ average (GPA of 6) if the applicant is already a student at Victoria University of Wellington.
Scholarship applications must be made in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4.30 pm NZT on each closing date advertised above. All required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm NZT on the closing date in order for the application to be considered. The application should consist of the following;
- Application letter with a personal statement and a short financial hardship statement if relevant
- Rugby playing CV
- A personal reference to demonstrate character, rugby ability and/or performance at school in academic and co-curricular spaces
- A copy of NCEA Level 2 results
All applications will be screened by University staff, and the decision-making panel will consist of University Recreation Wellington staff and OBURFC officials. The panel will determine the number of final recipients and the amounts of these awards at its sole discretion. Successful applicants of a scholarship will be notified by the Scholarships Office who will also arrange for payment of these scholarships.
Regulations and conditions
1. Scholarship recipients must become a registered player for the Old Boys University Rugby Football Club (OBURFC) and remain registered for the duration of the scholarship. They must also, barring injury or academic commitments such as examinations, remain available for selection for OBURFC for the entire duration of the Wellington Rugby Football Union rugby season in each calendar year
2. As OBURFC Rugby Scholarship recipients, students are expected to act as ambassadors for both VUW and OBURFC, upholding the values of these organisations through their behaviour and participating in marketing projects and events as appropriate.
3. Recipients are required to participate in the OBURFC Rugby Academy programme unless they receive a dispensation from the selection panel to participate in the Wellington Rugby Football Union or Hurricanes academy. Such dispensations will not be unreasonably withheld with the paramount consideration being what is in the best interests of each scholarship recipient.
4. Scholarship recipients must promote OBURFC, the OBURFC Academy and Victoria within the VUW, OBURFC, and Wellington communities and among their peers throughout the duration of the scholarship.
5. If a scholarship recipient becomes a contracted player to NZ Rugby, any Super Rugby franchise team or a provincial union during the tenure of the scholarship, the value of the scholarship will be subject to review at the entire discretion of the scholarship selection panel.
6. All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
7. Scholarships will be paid in one instalment, unless the total value is over $2,000 (at which point quarterly stipend payments will be made).
8. The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
9. The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards with the exception of any other VUW Sports scholarship or other full fee paying scholarship.
10. Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship may normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
11. At the discretion of VUW and OBURFC, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.