Te Manawa O Te Ika A Maui Scholarship
The scholarship is to support a Ngāti Tūwharetoa undergraduate student at Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington studying Environmental Management/Science.
The scholarship aligns to the Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board Mahere Rautaki 2021-2026:
We are kaitiaki of our moana and awa
This pou encourages the active protection of our wai and natural environment inclusive of mātauranga Tūwharetoa.
This scholarship is co-funded with Victoria University of Wellington to support; Ngāti Tūwharetoa participation and success at the University; and the strategic direction of the Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board as outlined in the Mahere Rautaki 2021-2026.
Who is eligible?
Each applicant will need to be studying full-time at Victoria University of Wellington for an undergraduate qualification in Environmental Management/ Science and be registered with the Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board.
- Applicants must be studying full-time at Victoria University of Wellington for an undergraduate qualification.
- Applicants must be studying in one of the following areas: Environmental Management or Environmental Science.
- Applicants must be registered with the Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- Provide a supporting letter from their marae/hapū (to be requested via the online application);
- Provide a personal statement that overviews the following
- how their study aligns with the chosen category;
- their current involvement with Ngāti Tūwharetoa marae, hapū and iwi;
- how their qualification will enable them to contribute to Ngāti Tūwharetoa marae, hapū and iwi.
The Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board will select the successful applicant.
The scholarship will be awarded in two (2) instalments. The first payment will be made in Trimester 1. The second payment, in Trimester 2, will be based on the recipients results from Trimester 1. Payment can be towards tuition fees and/or accommodation.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.