Murray McNae Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial support for a Mana College school leaver intending to study at Victoria University of Wellington to pursue studies in Computer Science (Bachelor of Science) or Software Engineering (Bachelor of Engineering). While preference will be given to these two career paths, consideration may also be given for studies toward a general Science degree.
This scholarship is only available to Mana College leavers for studies at Victoria University of Wellington. The selection of the student will be based on both the demonstration of interest and promise in the subject of computer science or general science, and of financial need.
- Applicants must be current students of Mana College in Year 13
- Applicants must have attended Mana College for at least one school year in Year 12 or 13
- Applicants must be intending to enrol full time in a Bachelor of Science in the year following application
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement
- A reference (to be requested via the online application)
- Complete the financial section of the online application if appropriate
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by the selection panel consisting of the Principal of Mana College, a senior manager of the school, and the scholarship donor Murray McNae, or his designated appointee.
The successful applicant will be announced at the annual prize giving ceremony at Mana College.
The scholarship will comprise $5,000 in the first year which can be paid as a stipend (equal monthly instalments) or towards a Victoria University of Wellington Hall of Residence. Upon successful academic progress each year, the second and third years of the scholarship will be paid directly towards tuition fees.
The Victoria University of Wellington Foundation will ask the recipient to provide an end of year update for each year that the Scholarship is held, which will be forwarded to the scholarship donor.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.