Miriama Evans Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is for students who are studying at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington and are part of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga.
The late Miriama Evans is a former graduate, lecturer, Council Member, a voluntary external member of the Council’s Te Aka Matua Committee and Hunter Fellow of Victoria University of Wellington. Miriama worked all her life for te ao Māori in the public service and the arts. She battled for the interests of Māori, especially Māori women. Miriama was also actively committed to her iwi, Ngāti Mutunga. Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga and Victoria University of Wellington, with the agreement of Miriama’s whānau, have established this scholarship to acknowledge both her service to Ngāti Mutunga and the University. The scholarship also recognises her belief in the value of higher education for Ngāti Mutunga and Māori development generally.
Students can be studying at any level and any subject area to apply for this scholarship so long as they are full-time. The scholarship will be awarded based on academic merit and the personal statement.
- Applicants must be a registered beneficiary of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga.
- Applicants must be an enrolled full-time student of Victoria University of Wellington.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- Provide a brief personal statement introducing themselves to Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga, and a description of their commitment to the iwi and te ao Māori now or in the future. Applicants should reflect on some of the characteristics of Miriama, which included leadership, vision, creativity, loyalty and above all, service.
Selection will be made Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga.
The value of this scholarship is co-funded by Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga & Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
It is expected successful recipients will write a letter or email of appreciation to Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Mutunga.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
Scholarships and PhD Admissions Office
Phone 0800 04 04 04