Irene Pestov Memorial Scholarship
History and purpose
This scholarship has been set up by Vladimir, Xenia and Sviatoslav (Slava) Pestov in memory of their late wife and mother Irene Pestov who completed her PhD in Mathematics at Victoria University of Wellington from 1993-1996.
The purpose of this scholarship is to assist female students in the area of Mathematical Sciences or Geosciences to complete their M.Sc. or PhD thesis, by helping to extend enrolment in the final months of writing up their thesis.
Who is eligible?
- This scholarship is open to female students studying Mathematical Sciences or Geosciences in the final stage of working on their thesis. The scholarship will alternate between Mathematical Sciences and Geosciences where possible.
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in PhD or MSc study at Te Herenga Waka-Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in PhD or MSc studying Mathematical Sciences or Geosciences at Te Herenga Waka-Victoria University of Wellington
- Applicants must be female students.
- Applicants must be in their final stage of working on their thesis.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A detailed timeline for up to three month scholarship period
- A report progress to date (approximately one page)
- A copy of the most recent six monthly report
- Endorsement from Primary Supervisor (to be requested via the online application)
Selection will be made by the Victoria University Scholarship Committee.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.