Hector Macaskill Memorial Scholarship in Children's Librarianship
This scholarship is to assist Masters or PhD students undertaking a research degree in Library and Information Studies at Victoria University of Wellington, and intend to pursue a research topic in the field of library service or literature for children and young people.
The scholarship shall be open to students, who in the year of tenure will be enrolled in a Masters or PhD degree in Library and Information Studies at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled or intending to enrol in a Masters or PhD degree in Library and Information Studies at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be currently undertaking or intending to undertake a research topic in the field of library service or literature for children and young people.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A detailed description of the current/future research topic
- A reference from current/potential supervisor (to be requested via the online application)
Applicants may be invited for an interview on their academic and professional librarianship record. The successful recipient will be selected by a panel consisting of the Director or the Library and Information Studies, or their nominees and representatives of the Trustees of the National Library.
In making the award the panel may take into consideration academic and professional Librarianship performance and such other factors as in their judgement are important in library work with children and young people.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship.
In addition to the copies of the thesis deposited in the University Library the recipients will also be asked to deposit a copy with the Trustees of the National Library to be stored in the School Library Service under the same conditions as it is in the University Library and/or make a separate report to the Trustees of the National Library.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.