Graduate Women Wellington - First in Family Scholarship
This Scholarship will be open to female students who are the 'first in family' to attend University. First in family is classed as the first person from the student's known family history (excluding step family members) to attend University study.
This Scholarship will be open to female students who are the 'first in family' to attend University. First in family is classed as the first person from the student’s known family history (excluding step family members) to attend University study. Preference will be given to students who, because of financial hardship, may not otherwise be able to undertake a University degree.
- Applicants must be the first in their family (excluding step family) to attend university
- Applicants must have University Entrance or equivalent
- Applicants must be enrolling in full time study at Victoria University of Wellington in the year following application
- Applicants must be younger than 25 years on 1 December in the year of application
- Applicants must be New Zealand Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at a Secondary School and reside in the Greater Wellington Region
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement
- A reference (to be requested via the online application).
Selection will be made by the Scholarships Committee of Graduate Women Wellington (or nominated subcommittee).
Shortlisted applicants may be requested to attend an interview.
Graduate Women Wellington shall have regard not only to the academic ability of the candidate, but also to factors such as character, leadership,community service and contributions to cultural and/or sporting activities. Graduate Women Wellington shall select scholars who display promise for the future and who will make the most of the opportunities presented by this award.
The recipient of this scholarship will also agree to the following:
- Mentor Programme
- Work Experience Programme
- Report to Graduate Women Wellington at their request on their progress
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards with the exception of full fee paying scholarships.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for the University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.