Fehl Music Scholarship
The Fehl Music Scholarship is to support current second and third year Music students at Victoria University of Wellington who are studying towards a New Zealand School of Music (NZSM) undergraduate degree.
This scholarship has been designed to help support deserving New Zealand School of Music undergraduate students who are in financial need.
Students are selected on the basis of academic merit, future potential, commitment to music, and demonstrated financial need. Students must be studying an NZSM degree at 200 or 300 level. The scholarship may be held concurrently with any other award or grant as long as the terms of that award of grant permit.
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in an undergraduate degree at the New Zealand School of Music.
- Applicants must be studying at 200 or 300 level.
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- Applicants must complete the financial hardship section of the application and provide evidence of financial need.
- Attach a one-page personal statement to share your story, to explain what music means to you and your aims for a career in music.
- Applicants (other than those who have completed all of their study at the New Zealand School of Music) must include a certified copy of those academic records from other institutions.
- A reference from an academic member of staff at the New Zealand School of Music (to be requested via the online application)
The scholarship will be awarded by Victoria University of Wellington upon the recommendation of a selection committee comprising of the Head of the New Zealand School of Music (or nominee), one member of academic staff from NZSM, as appointed by the Head of School, and one representative of the Fehl Trust. Victoria University of Wellington is not obliged to make an award in any year if there is no candidate of sufficient merit.
Students are expected to write a letter of thanks to the donor to show their appreciation.
Up to the value of $7,500, subject to funds available. The scholarship will be paid in one instalment in the second semester.
The recipient will be expected to demonstrate engagement and contribute to the community and environment of the New Zealand School of Music. This may include but is not limited to, participation in ensembles, presentations, or performances at NZSM or university events.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.