Ernest Marsden Scholarship in Physics
History and purpose
This scholarship was established in 1999 by a bequest from Sir Ernest Marsden CMG, CBE, MC, DSc, FRS, FRSNZ, MIEE, the founding Secretary of the DSIR, for research in the area of experimental physics with the potential to benefit all New Zealanders. The scholarship was established through the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation.
The purpose of this scholarship is to offer students in Physics to do research in the area of experimental physics with the potential to benefit all New Zealanders.
Who is eligible?
- Applicants must be enrolled or intending to enrol in a MSc or PhD in Physics at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled or intending to enrol in a MSc or PhD in Physics at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
- The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and alignment with the research area of experimental physics that has the potential to benefit the health and well-being of New Zealanders.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A CV
- A brief description of the research topic to be undertaken
- A reference from current/proposed supervisor (to be requested via the online application)
The successful recipient will be selected by the Head of School of Chemical and Physical Sciences in consultation with appropriate staff from the school.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship as well as provide an end of year progress report.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.