The Erasmus Scholarship was established by the late Mr D J Riddiford in 1962 to encourage the study of classical languages. It is open to second year students at Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington who want to major in Greek or Latin.
Who is eligibile?
Applicants must be enrolled or intending to enrol in their second year of undergraduate study in classical languages, Greek or Latin at Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must have completed at least one year's study, in Greek or Latin.
- Applicants applying from other universities, must supply a transcript of thier results in either or both languages.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A Personal Statement outlining reasons why they are studying Greek or Latin.
- Academic results
Awarding of the scholarship will be made on the recommendation of the Programme Director - School of Languages and Cultures.
- The recipient will receive a stipend paid in two instalments in Trimester 1 and 2.
- Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of the scholarship within a month of receiving the scholarship.
- Recipients can re-apply for the scholarship in their third year but will be assessed with all new applications.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.