Buchanan Scholarship in New Zealand History and Society
History and purpose
This scholarship was established by Julia Paton, in association with the Stout Research Centre for New Zealand Studies, to encourage research into New Zealand's history, cultures and society. Julia is a graduate of Victoria University of Wellington (BA 1977, LLB 1979, BARSOL 1980).
This scholarship is intended to assist with costs associated with pursuing a Masters by research degree.
Who is Eligible?
- Applicants must be a full-time Master's by thesis student undertaking research in New Zealand's history, cultures and society.
- Students who are intending to transfer to Victoria University of Wellington from other universities are eligible to apply.
- Domestic and international students.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled or intending to enrol in a full-time Master's by thesis at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be undertaking or intending to undertake research in New Zealand's history, cultures and society.
- Applicants can be domestic or international students.
- The scholarship will be made primarily on the basis of academic merit and the ability of the University to supervise the proposed research.
How do students apply?
All scholarship applications are submitted through Community Force.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- An overview of the current/intended research project
- An academic reference (must be from an academic who is willing to supervise the proposed research project)
- A statement on financial hardship
Applicants will be ranked by the Stout Research Centre Research Committee, and a recommendation will be made to the Victoria University Scholarships Committee.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship.
Where there is a difficulty in distinguishing between applicants, financial need may be taken into account. If no suitable applicant is found in any one year, the scholarship will not be awarded.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
Scholarships and PhD Admissions Office
Phone 0800 04 04 04