Barbara Finlayson Scholarship
The scholarship will be awarded annually to a New Zealand School of Music (NZSM) violin, viola and violoncello student at any level. NZSM string staff may also apply. A particular purpose of the scholarship is to fund postgraduate study, travel, accommodation and other expenses incurred in the pursuit of such study, both within and outside New Zealand.
This scholarship has been established through the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation from a generous bequest made by Barbara Finlayson. The first awards were made at the end of 1997.
Applicants will be current violin, viola or violoncello students, enrolled in the NZSM. A particular of the scholarship is to fund postgraduate study, travel, accommodation and other expenses incurred in the pursuit of such study, both within and outside New Zealand. The scholarship is available to both domestic and international students.
- Applicants must be current violin, viola or violoncello students, enrolled at any level in the NZSM at Victoria University of Wellington.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement outlining reasons for applying for the scholarship
- A study plan and a detailed budget covering expenses
- A reference from an academic or supervisor (to be requested via the online application)
The successful recipient will be selected by the New Zealand School of Music.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.