Averil Brent Scholarship in Science
The Scholarship is open to female students studying full time at 300 level, BSc (Hons) and Masters by Coursework in any area of Science, including Architecture and Design. The Scholarship shall be awarded on the basis of academic merit. In the case of two or more equally worthy applicants financial need will also be taken into consideration.
This Scholarship was established in 2002 by Peter Preston-Thomas in honour of his daughter Averil. The the scholarship was set up to assist female students studying science.
Applicants must be female, New Zealand or Canadian citizens studying full time at 300 level, BSc (Hons) and Masters by Coursework in any area of Science, including Architecture and Design at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be female.
- Applicants must be New Zealand or Canadian citizens.
- Applicants must be studying full time at 300 level, BSC (Hons) or Master's by Coursework in Science or Architecture and Design at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants who consider they are experiencing financial hardship must complete the financial section in the online application.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
If appropriate, please complete the financial section of the online application.
The selection committee comprises the Dean of Science (or nominee) and other appropriate staff if relevant.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.