Andrea Brander Accommodation Scholarship
The Andrea Brander Accommodation Scholarship was established to assist one student each year to afford suitable accommodation. It is intended for students who would otherwise be unable to attend Victoria University of Wellington for family or financial reasons. These grants can assist with accommodation costs in any of the Halls of Residence, flats or private board.
The Scholarship was established in February 1997 in memory of Andrea Brander, Accommodation Office at Victoria University of Wellington for six years until the time of her sudden death. Greatly valued by students and staff at the University she was dedicated to helping students find safe, affordable housing, which would enhance their academic achievement.
These scholarships are offered to students who are intending to enrol in their first year undergraduate studies, who would otherwise be unable to attend University for family or financial reasons.
- Applicants must be enrolling at Victoria University of Wellington in their first year of undergraduate study in the year following application
- Applicants must be experiencing financial hardship
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement
- Applicants must complete the financial section of the online application
- A reference (to be requested via the online application)
Selection will be made by the Victoria University Undergraduate Scholarship Committee.
The Victoria University of Wellington Foundation will expect recipients to write a letter of thanks to the donor on receipt of the award and an end of year progress report.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.