Alison Morton Scholarship in Ecology/Marine Biology
History and purpose
The family of Alison Morton, a Victoria University of Wellington graduate who completed a BSc (Hons) in Ecology, has established this scholarship in her memory. The scholarship incorporates a contribution from the estate of Alison's grandparents, Grace and Reg Riddick.
The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage the study of Ecology and Marine Biology at Victoria University of Wellington.
Who is eligible?
- Applicants must be enrolled in a BSc (Hons) or MSc in Ecology or Marine Biology at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
- The scholarship shall be awarded annually to a full-time student enrolled in a BSc (Hons) or MSc in Ecology or Marine Biology.
- Candidate must have completed an undergraduate degree at Te Herenga Waka–Victoria University of Wellington.
- In making the award the panel will take into account not only the academic merits of the candidates but also their financial need.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A reference from an academic or supervisor (to be requested via the online application).
- Evidence of financial need.
The recipient will be selected by a panel consisting of the Head of School of Biological Sciences (or nominee) and other appropriate school staff if required.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to the donor of this scholarship.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.