Image, text, signal, and language processing
Our major areas of research include computer vision, image analysis and pattern recognition, and text mining and natural language processing.
Computer vision, image analysis, and pattern recognition
Computer vision, image analysis, and pattern recognition is a major area of research that the Centre has been focused on.
We have been involved in research into areas that include:
- automatic image feature extraction
- selection and construction
- image and object classification
- detection and tracking
- edge detection
- image segmentation
- image understanding
- pattern recognition (classification, regression, and clustering).
This area has many real-world applications with economic and social value. There are many funded research grants in this area.
Text mining and natural language processing
Text mining and natural language processing is a growth area of AI.
We have been carrying out research into:
- text mining
- opinion mining
- web mining
- web intelligence
- intelligent agents
- natural language processing in medical data
- hate speech detection
- event detection
- fake news detection
- multi-view text classification.
We have been developing:
- new deep neural networks
- evolutionary computation algorithms
- other learning algorithms such as kernel-based methods.
Audio, speech and signal processing is a major area of research by the Centre, and the core techniques that some modern video conference tools such as Skype were developed by researchers in the Centre.