Victoria University of Wellington is committed to helping students negotiate the challenges associated with juggling competitive sport and tertiary study.
As a committed member of the High-Performance Sport NZ Athlete Friendly Tertiary Network, the University provides carded and identified athletes with additional support and guidance to stay on track.
Get in touch
If you are a prospective or current student with a question or enquiry around athlete support, email email@example.com.
General athlete support services
Student athletes are able to access a range of support and advocacy services. Please join our athlete database by completing this form.
- General advice and a point of contact for any issues
- Sponsorship funding—student athletes who are dealing with high costs related to training, equipment, attendance at tournaments or events may be eligible to apply for sponsorship.
- Personal development opportunities—we co-ordinate and facilitate a range of seminars and workshops on topics of interest and value to student athletes.
- Blues Awards—the University Blues Award is one of New Zealand’s most prestigious and long-standing awards that recognises a university student’s performance in representing their region or New Zealand at the pinnacle of their sport, whilst successfully progressing their academic studies.
- Join our online community on Facebook.
Athlete training grant
Student athletes at the University are encouraged to apply for an athlete training grant with University Recreation Wellington.
An athlete training grant provides student athletes with free access to facilities and equipment on campus, as well as a dedicated fitness professional to help them stay on track and achieve their training goals.
To be eligible for an athlete training grant, students must:
- be studying full time at Victoria University of Wellington
- be competing at a Regional or National level
- complete the application process in full.
Applications are now open, with a limited number of grants available for each trimester.