Laywood and Joyce Chan Awards
Approx. $7,500 each subject to available funds
No application required
The two awards provided by Laywood and the late Joyce Chan via the Victoria University Foundation are intended to encourage students going on to postgraduate study with a focus on China, the Chinese language, and the contribution of the Chinese community to New Zealand. The awards are made to postgraduate students (Honours, Masters or PhD) in Chinese language and to postgraduate students undertaking research in Chinese history, politics or international relations. A focus on the contribution of the Chinese community to New Zealand is encouraged.
Two awards have been provided by Laywood and the late Joyce Chan via the Victoria University Foundation. Although not Victoria graduates themselves, they valued tertiary education highly and saw several of their children graduate from Victoria University of Wellington.
1. One award is for a student at Victoria University of Wellington who, following completion of their BA degree, is intending to study Chinese language at Honours or Masters level.
2. One award is for a student at Victoria University of Wellington who, following completion of their BA degree, is intending to do an Honours, Masters or PhD research essay or thesis in any aspect of the history of the Chinese community in New Zealand, or on aspects of Chinese history, politics or international relations.
3. The awards may be given only to students intending to undertake postgraduate study at Victoria University of Wellington.
4. The prizes shall be awarded on the recommendation, respectively, of the Head of the School of Languages and Cultures, and the Head of the School of History, Philosophy, Political Science and International Relations.
5. In any given year each of the two awards may be shared between a maximum of two students.
6. If at any time the Trustees of the Victoria University Foundation in their absolute discretion consider that no person or project may be a suitable recipient of the Scholarship then the Trustees may apply the funds towards any project in sympathy with the principal purpose.
7. Recipients of these awards will be asked to write a letter of thanks which will be forwarded to the donor.