See what’s coming up in our regular workshops.
The Wellington Faculty of Graduate Research (WFGR) offers a number of workshops for Doctoral candidates during the year presented by international presenters and Victoria University of Wellington staff members. Participating in the workshops introduces you to new ideas and strategies, enables you to network with other doctoral candidates and provides a break from your daily routine of working in the lab or your office.
Registering to attend
You will need to use the links on the Events section of our website to register for the workshops. If you find that you cannot attend, please remember to withdraw so that another student can take your place. You can withdraw simply by clicking on the link in the registration confirmation email you’ll receive.
Regular Wednesday workshops
Our regular workshop series offers practical sessions designed to help you develop your research skills.Workshop details will be posted on the WFGR website under the Events section of our website and emailed to all enrolled PhD candidates at the start of each month. Workshops for 2020 include:
- Academic Writing Strategies (January)
- Preparing for the Oral Defence (February, September)
- Formulating Good Research Questions (March)
- Core Skills for Presenting Research (April)
- Managing Documents and Storing Data (May)
- Doctoring the Job Search (June)
- Preparing Ethics Applications (July)
- Thesis Writing (August)
- Editing your Writing (October)
- Being Strategic about Publishing (November)
- Working a Conference … Networking like a Pro (December).
Workshops presented by visiting speakers
We host several internationally recognised speakers through the year including Maria Gardiner and Hugh Kearns from ThinkWell Australia and Margaret Kiley from the Australian National University. Details of upcoming workshops are posted on the Events section of our website and emailed to all enrolled PhD candidates at the start of each month.