Staff in the School of Economics and Finance undertake research in a wide range of areas within the broad field of Economics and Finance.
As part of our commitment to research, we welcome applications from graduate students who want to study towards a Master's or PhD degree in research areas of our staff. For information on these programmes of study, see our Postgraduate Study page, or contact our Postgraduate Programme Director.
Research area of expertise: Economics
- Professor Bob Buckle - economics and public policy, particularly in the fields of macroeconomics, business cycles, growth, fiscal policy, taxation, monetary policy and university management and tertiary education policy.
- Dr Paul Calcott - Social Regulation and its alternatives, Environmental and Paternalist Intervention. The economics of tort.
- Dr Shutao Cao - Macroeconomics, Labor Economics, International Trade, Firm Dynamics, Reallocation, Canadian Economy, and Chinese Economy.
- Dr Yu-Wei Luke Chu - Labour Economics, Health Economics, Applied Econometrics, and Economics of crime.
- Dr Harold Cuffe - Labour Economics, Applied Econometrics, Crime Economics, Economics of Education, Health Economics, Consumer Credit, Fringe Banking.
- Emeritus Prof Lew Evans - Microeconomics, Industrial Organisation and Econometrics. The operation and performance of markets and organisations.
- Prof Eberhard Feess - Law and Economics, Behavioral Economics, Experimental Economics, Competition Policy, Sports Economics, Health Economics.
- Dr Jan Feld - Economics of Education, Labor Economics, Behavioral Economics.
- Emeritus Prof Viv Hall - New Zealand, Australian and Pacific Rim business cycle analysis, Macroeconomic modelling and policy, with particular reference to monetary and fiscal policy, growth and productivity analysis.
- Prof Yothin Jinjarak - International Trade and Macroeconomics, Development
- Dr Mohammed Khaled - Demand Systems, Economies of Scale and Scope, Production and Cost Frontiers, Stock-market Efficiency Tests, Trends in Stock Prices and Returns.
- Dr Robert Kirkby - Macroeconomics, Taxation, Inequality, Monetary Economics, Computation and Estimation of Models.
- Prof Ilan Noy - International and development economics. Natural disasters, Financial crises and capital flow.
- Dr Vladimir Petkov - Dynamic Games, Contracts, Environmental Economics
- Assoc. Prof Jack Robles - Game Theory and Economic Theory. Current research: Rationality in extensive form games, evolutionary stability in bargaining situations, discrimination (in group bias: as a repeated game equilibrium, and contacts between lawyers and clients).
- Dr Yigit Saglam - Applied Econometrics, Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
- Prof Don Shin - Labor Economics, Applied Econometrics, Structural Labor Markets.
- Assoc. Prof Eric Ulm - Insurance Option Pricing, Pensions, Experimental Economics and Subjective Beliefs.
- Dr Yao Yao - Development Economics, Macroeconomics, Health Economics, Labor Economics
Research area of expertise: Finance
- AProf Toby Daglish - Derivatives, Financial Engineering, Risk Management, Financial Econometrics, Portfolio Theory, Energy Economics and Auctions.
- Dr Griffin Geng - Empirical Corporate Finance, Corporate Innovation.
- Prof Graeme Guthrie - Applications of real options analysis to corporate decision-making, industrial organization, and urban economics. Corporate Governance Theory.
- Dr Jinji Hao - Financial Economics, Derivatives, Banking.
- Dr Michael Keefe - IPOs, Capital Structure Information and Market Efficiency.
- Prof Hai Lin - Fixed-income Securities, Asset Pricing, Market Microstructure.
- Dr Leigh Roberts - Financial Mathematics, Risk Management and Insurance. Combinatorics; Jack Polynominals and Zonal Polynominals.
- Dr Cheng Zhang - Empirical and Theoretical Asset Pricing, Derivative Markets, Liquidity, Financial Econometrics, Security Lending Markets