Off-campus study

Approval is required to conduct research away from Victoria University of Wellington.

PhD study is carried out under academic supervision. It is expected that you will attend Victoria University of Wellington on a regular basis and participate in the intellectual life of your school and the wider University.

Conducting your research away from the University

If during your PhD study you need to work away from Wellington for data collection or fieldwork, you must seek approval from your school. International students are limited to a total of twelve months absence for approved research purposes.

Studying at a collaborating institution

In some circumstances, you may be able to undertake a PhD at Victoria University of Wellington while working at another institution. Crown Research Institutes, some hospitals, and some industrial organisations have research facilities which complement those at the University.

A formal agreement between Victoria University of Wellington and the collaborating institution will be required. Discuss matters with the school at Victoria University of Wellington in which you would like to study.