- BA (Hons) BD, MA PhD London
Chris' research focuses on restorative justice theory and practice, and its many applications in society. He also has a strong interest in conflict resolution and peacemaking. His theological work has focused strongly on the biblical and spiritual roots of the restorative justice vision.
See more information on the Diana Unwin Chair of Restorative Justice website.
- All Things Reconciled: Essays on Restorative Justice, Religious Violence and the Interpretation of Scripture (Eugene, OR.: Cascade/Wipf & Stock, 2018).
- Compassionate Justice: An Interdisiciplinary Dialogue with Two Gospel Parables on Law, Crime, and Restorative Justice (Eugene, OR.: Cascade/Wipf & Stock, 2012).
- The Little Book of Biblical Justice: A Fresh Approach to the Bible’s Teaching on Justice Little Books on Justice and Peacemaking (Intercourse PA.: Good Books, 2005).
- Crowned with Glory and Honor: Human Rights in the Biblical Tradition SPS 5 (Telford/Scottdale, PA.: Pandora Press/ Herald Press, 2001).
- Beyond Retribution: A New Testament Vision for Justice, Crime and Punishment (Grand Rapids, Mich: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2001).
- Kingdom Come: The Kingdom of God in the Teaching of Jesus (Auckland: Impetus Publications, 1993). Chinese language translation 2007 (Hong Kong: FES Publishing).
- Faith as a Theme in Mark’s Narrative SSNTMS 64 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1989). Paperback edition, 1994.
Awards and achievements
- Post-graduate Supervisors Award, Victoria University of Wellington Post Graduate Students Association (2017).
- Excellence in Engagement Award, Victoria University of Wellington (2016).
- Resolution Institute’s Michael Klug Award, for contributions to “the peaceful resolution of conflict in the best interests of the community.” (2015)
- National Tertiary Teaching Excellence Award, Ako Aotearoa National Centre for Tertiary Teaching Excellence (2009)
- Award for Special Academic Achievement: For Sustained Excellence in Teaching, Victoria University of Wellington (2008)
- Fulbright Travel Award (2004)
- International Community Justice Award (2004)
- Beyond Retribution included in 2002 "Outstanding Academic Titles" list by American book review journal Choice. (2003)
- Beyond Retribution named in the American Academy of Parish Clergy's list of "Top Ten Books for Parish Ministry Published in 2001". Also nominated for the prestigious Grawemeyer Award in Religion. (2002)
- E.M. Blaiklock Memorial Fund Research Grant. (1986/87)
- Overseas Research Student's Fellowship. (1981-83)