Dr Kathryn Sutherland
Associate Professor, Centre for Academic Development
Faculty contact Wellington School of Business and Government, Architecture & Design, Law
Kathryn returned to CAD in 2016 after nearly six years as Associate Dean (Students, Learning & Teaching) in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. She coordinates the Victoria Early Career Academic Programme (VECAP), designed to support early career academics with establishing their academic careers, building supportive peer and mentoring networks, and developing their teaching and research. Kathryn also coordinates the Ako in Action programme, partnering students and academics to work together on teaching development and design. Kathryn’s research mainly focuses on the experiences of and support for early career academic staff, and she has received several awards for both her research and teaching. She is available to supervise PhD students in the following broad areas:
- early career academic experiences
- academic development as a field of research and practice
- civic engagement and service learning
- work-integrated learning and/or employability.
Grants and Awards
- 2019 Teaching and Learning Circles: Developing reflective practice and enhancing teaching culture. $9,981. (Ako Aotearoa Central Hub Fund Research Grant)
- 2017: Learning and Teaching Research Fund: “Learning from early adopters: Sustainable change towards high-impact pedagogies” ($7000)
- 2017: OLT National Teaching Fellowship project, external evaluator and international advisory team member: “Making Connections: Future-proofing the generalist Bachelor of Arts”. (AUD$5000)
- 2014: Learning & Teaching Development Fund Research Grant: “Developing the graduate attributes and employability skills of BA students through internship placements” ($20,000)
- 2012: Learning & Teaching Development Fund Grant: “Internships in the Bachelor of Arts” ($20,000)
- 2011: Ako Aotearoa National Project Fund Research Grant: “Success in Academia” ($122,244)
- 2010: HERDSA Conference Creative Presentation Award (with Linda Bowden)
- 2010: University Research Fund Grant: “Developing Scholarly Habits” ($17,000)
- 2010: Ako Aotearoa Central Hub Research Grant: “Developing Scholarly Habits” ($2471)
- Teaching Excellence Award (Victoria University of Wellington), 2018
- Principal Fellow, Higher Education Academy (PFHEA), awarded June 2018
Sutherland, K. (2018). Cultivating connectedness and generosity in universities: A view of early career academic experiences in Aotearoa New Zealand. On Education, 1(3). https://www.oneducation.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/10.17899_on_ed.2018.3.8.pdf
Sutherland, K.A. (2018). Holistic academic development: Is it time to think more broadly about the academic development project? International Journal for Academic Development, 23(4), 261-273. https://doi.org/10.1080/1360144X.2018.1524571.
Sutherland, K.A. & Hall, M. (2018). The ‘impact’ of academic development. International Journal for Academic Development, 23(2), 69-71.
Sutherland, K. (2018). Early career academics in New Zealand: Challenges and prospects in comparative perspective. Cham: Springer. ISBN: Print 978-3-319-61829-6. http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319618296
Sutherland, K. (2017). Constructions of success in academia: An early career perspective. Studies in Higher Education, 42(4), 743-759. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2015.1072150
Harvey, M. & Sutherland, K.A. (2017). (Eds.). Quality learning and teaching with sessional teachers: Systematising good practice for academic development. International Journal for Academic Development, 22 (1).
Sutherland, K. (2016). Turning 20: learning from academic development’s past as we look to the future. International Journal for Academic Development, 20(2), 91-93.
Sutherland, K. & Grant, B. (2016). Researching academic development. Chapter 12, pp. 187-206 in Advancing practice in academic development, edited by David Baume and Celia Popovic. London and New York: Routledge.
Sutherland, K. A. (2016). (Ed.). Twentieth Anniversary Issue. International Journal for Academic Development, 21 (2).
Sutherland, K. (2015). Language. A poem published in Teaching and Learning Inquiry: The ISSOTL Journal, 3(2), 109-110.
Sutherland, K. (2015). Precarious but connected: the roles and identities of academic developers. Editorial. International Journal for Academic Development, 20 (3), 209-211
Sutherland, K. & Holmes, T. (2015). Deconstructive misalignment: Reflections on method and theory in academic development. The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning/La revue canadienne sur l'avancement des connaissances en enseignement et en apprentissage, 6(2), Article 11.
Sutherland, K. (2015). ‘Academia is losing its appeal’ and ‘On the success treadmill’. Two poems in the anthology, Teaching as a human experience: An anthology of contemporary poems. Eds, K. Head and P. Blessinger. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.